5. What happens if I do not file a response to the request for a divorce or legal separation?

You have thirty days from the date of service to file your response. If you do not file and serve your response in a timely manner, the other party may proceed by a “default” proceeding. If the court enters a default against you, you will be precluded from participating in the proceedings. Only in limited circumstances will the court consider setting aside the default.

Posted in: Faq